Sunday 9 January 2011

So what do Aussies call thongs?

The Great Ocean Road. There's one in the UK, South Shields, my birthplace. There's one in Australia on the south east coast. But which one is best? There's only one way to find out. Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Actually, the way to find out is to drive along it. South Shields Ocean Road is about half a mile long. The one in Oz is 151 miles long and not one Indian restaurant in sight. It's an amazing breathtaking journey and there's plenty places to stay along the way to break up your journey. There's even a place called the Grotto like you find on South Shields coast.

The most specta
cular part of the journey for us was the 12 Apostles, a collection of sticky up rock stacks, each with their own name. Another similarity to South Shields coast where you will find one called Marsden Rock. What a sight to see them from the ground and in the air as we took advantage of a Xmas present helicopter ride. I had my own names for them of course, especially the phallic ones. I wanted to call one Alan but with having a kangaroo called that it felt wrong. I wish I'd named one after him as he looked a bit sad in this photo despite the view from his apartment.

During the journey I looked twice above me to see a Koala. Not in the car, but in a tree. My life wouldn't be worth living if I hadn't slammed on the brakes, swerved to miss 17 Chinese people with cameras and park up to take a photo.

So if you find yourself in South Shields, do the Ocean Road, see the Grotto, the Marsden Rock and eat an Indian curry. If you find yourself in Australia, do the same with less clothes on wearing flip-flops. They call them thongs in Oz by the way, which sounds weird when an Aussie mentions they have brown stuff on their thong.

No comments: